New Labour Hire Laws in Victoria l Canny Group
ATTENTION ALL BUSINESSES.. does your business or organisation use labour hire workers? If this applied to you, then you need to be aware of the new labour hire laws that are now in place, and how they may affect you and your business! We have everything you need to know here; New Labour Hire Laws in Victoria l Canny Group
Under the Labour Hire Licensing Act 2018, labour hire providers will have until 29 October 2019 to apply for and be granted a licence by the Victoria Labour Hire Authority to operate in Victoria.
Licences can be applied for from the Labour Hire Authority website. These licences are valid for a period of no more than three years.
There is a test that needs to be satisfied to obtain and maintain a licence. This is known as “fit and proper test”. Businesses will need to prove past compliance with the applicable employment, tax, immigration and workplace health and safety laws.
To ensure compliance of the new licensing system, the Victoria Labour Hire Authority will employ inspectors. These inspectors will be able to enter and search premises, examine, seize or inspect anything suspected of relating to a possible contravention.
KEY POINTS FOR BUSINESS OWNERS:
- LABOUR HIRE PROVIDERS MUST REGISTER ONLINE TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT + then apply for a licence.
- LABOUR HIRE PROVIDERS WILL HAVE SIX MONTHS, or until 29 October 2019 to register online + apply for a licence.
- IF PROVIDERS DO NOT APPLY FOR A LICENCE within the six-month transition period, they will be prohibited from providing labour hire services from 30 October 2019
- UNLICENSED LABOUR HIRE PROVIDERS CAN FACE SUBSTANTIAL FINES, with a maximum penalty for a natural person being more than $120,000 + for a corporation exceeding $500,000.
- HOSTS [BUSINESS WHO UTILISE LABOUR HIRE WITHIN THEIR BUSINESS] who enter into an arrangement after 29 October 2019 with a labour hire provider who has not applied for, or who has been refused a labour hire licence face substantial fines ranging from a maximum in excess of $120,00 for a natural person to in excess of $500,000 for a corporation.
- THERE IS AN APPLICATION FEE, + ANNUAL LICENCE FEE, payable by the labour hire provider.
If your business uses labour hire workers in Victoria, we recommend you begin enquiringly with the providers as to their intentions with respect to applying for a licence.
Please contact Canny Legal on 5278 9500 or get in touch here if you have any queries regarding the new Labour Hire regime.
Estate Planning is Life Planning – Expert Legal Advice l Canny Group
I’ve often thought that ‘life planning’ would be a much more appropriate label than ‘estate planning’; estate planning is [and should be] so much more than simply planning for your death. We have put together what needs to be considered when it comes to thinking and planning for your estate, introducing, Estate Planning is Life Planning – Expert Legal Advice l Canny Group.
Of course, planning for how your assets should be dealt with upon your death by preparing a Will is an important component of the plan, but it only one component of what should be much broader life planning – and that planning should begin as early as possible.
Estate planning extends well beyond Wills, to incorporate Powers of Attorney, Superannuation, business ownership, trust structures, tax planning and broader family arrangements, all of which may have no effect until you are unwell or pass away, but should all be part of your planning whilst you are fit and well and enjoying life.
Your estate planning should be front of mind during many of life’s big moments, including the following:
- PURCHASING A PROPERTY // planning should include how the property is owned, whether that is in your sole name, joint names with another person, or in the name of a company or trust. Getting this right will determine who can receive an interest in the property should you pass away, and can also avoid unnecessary stamp duty, tax and legal expenses in transferring the property down the track;
- GETTING MARRIED OR SEPARATING FROM YOUR SPOUSE PARTNER // the joy of getting married, or the difficulty of a relationship breakdown, both have an impact on your estate planning. Prior to the event, you should be reviewing any existing wills, powers of attorney, superannuation arrangements, business ownership structures and the ownership of your own assets;
- HAVING CHILDREN, OR YOUR CHILDREN BECOMING YOUNG ADULTS // your children are the centre of your world, and should also be the centre of your estate plan, whether that is to provide for the care and provision of your minor children, or to benefit and protect your adult children for the challenges in their own lives;
- STARTING A BUSINESS, OR PLANNING YOUR TRANSITION OUT OF A BUSINESS // both extremely exciting times, and both requiring significant planning to ensure smooth operation of the business and treatment of key people within it.
For bonus points, great estate/life planning will combine elements of legal advice and documents, financial advice and accounting advice, which is addressed in a cohesive, open and organised manner.
For further information regarding estate planning, please contact us to receive a FREE copy of our ‘7 Steps to Estate Planning Guide’, and look out for future dates for our ‘Estate of Mind’ seminar series at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/estate-of-mind-tickets-66157682409
Stefan Manche – Senior Associate Solicitor